India Pakistan Trade Unit India Pakistan Trade Unit Support for UK Trade
The time in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh



Sri Lanka:


United Kingdom(GMT):


Become a member of India Pakistan Trade Unit

Visa for India, Visa for Pakistan, Visa for Sri Lanka and Visa for Bangladesh

Indian Events & trade missions, Pakistan Events, Sri Lanka Events, Bangladesh Events

Maps of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and the United Kingdom

EU Logo


Birmingham Chamber of Commerce and Industry

United Kingdom

Foreign Employment


Sub Menu



Employment of European People

If you are a British citizen, a Swiss national or a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) you do not need a permission to work in the United Kingdom. The EEA includes these countries: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are not members of the European Union (EU). However, the European Economic Area Agreement gives nationals of these countries the same rights to enter, live in and to work in the United Kingdom as EU citizens.

The statement by the Home Secretary to Parliament on 23 February announced that workers from the new member states must register with the Home Office.

Nationals from the following new member states: Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic who find a job in the United Kingdom are required to apply to register with the Home Office under the new 'Worker Registration Scheme' as soon as they find work.


Employment of non-European People

If you want to work in the United Kingdom, you should check that your status allows you to do so before taking up employment. Not everyone who comes to the UK is allowed to work. You can check if you are allowed to work by looking at the stamp in your passport. It is often not possible to change your status from inside the UK. You may need to leave the UK and apply for entry clearance. Your status may only allow you to stay in the UK for a limited time. In some cases, when the time is finished, you cannot apply to stay longer. If you are eligible to extend your stay in the UK, you will need to make an application before your original permission ends.

If you are currently outside the United Kingdom, you may need to apply for entry clearance before you travel. UKvisas, a joint Home Office and Foreign and Commonwealth Office department, through visa sections in some British diplomatic posts around the world, operate the entry clearance process for the United Kingdom.

The need to apply for entry clearance will depend on your current nationality and the scheme under which you wish to come to the United Kingdom. Before you make your entry clearance enquiry, you will need to know which scheme you are interested in applying for.

For further information please go to:

Top of page Back to top of the page


India Pakistan Sri Lanka Bangladesh UK

Indian News, Pakistan News, Sri Lanka News, Bangladesh News

India:Rupee gains 20 paise vs dollar; Sensex up 126 points.


Pakistan:Pakistan welcomes IMF $6.7bn lifeline

Sri Lanka:LankaClear posts Rs 189 m PAT


Bangladesh:GDP growth rises to 6.18pc, per capita income $ 1044 

Text Only Email IPTU+44(0) 121 450 4250 India Pakistan Trade Unit Terms
Copyright ©2008 India Pakistan Trade Unit. All Rights Reserved.  Web design by Websynergi